Ahhhh… Sunday night. Matt and I try to not have anything on our plate for Sunday afternoon or evening. This way, we can just hang out as a family and be calm before another hectic work week begins again. I like to start my week with a clean kitchen, full coffee pot and lunch packed for Matt. Once all that is ready and the kids in bed, I end my weekend watching Once Upon a Time with a bowl of popcorn.
I don’t remember microwave popcorn until I was in college. How many students live off popcorn their freshman year? Just me? Ok. Well, anyway, I have always noticed that after eating your everyday microwave popcorn, there’s a film on the roof of my mouth and my tongue feels strange. I stopped eating the popcorn for a while because it was just too strange. Oh and then, ConAgra was boldly stamped on the bottom of almost every bag I looked at. Another strike. And then… I realized the strange film might be due to the fact that microwave popcorn has a Teflon chemical, Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), in it. Awesome. So, I threw out the popcorn and resigned myself to only having it when visiting my inlaws since my sister-in-law has one of those stovetop poppers. We have a ceramic top stove and I really didn’t want another small appliance in my kitchen.
One afternoon, I was wandering Pinterest I noticed a pin that was about popcorn in the microwave… with just a plain paper bag!!! And it’s true. Just plain old paper bags that you’d pack lunch in, 1/3 cup popcorn kernels and 2 minutes in the microwave and you have fluffy popcorn without scratching the top of your stove or taking up valuable counter space with another appliance. I pop up a batch and then toss it in a few tablespoons of melted butter seasoned with either sea salt or a sundried tomato dip mix I found at the bulk foods store. It’s wonderful. It’s fresh. And it comes free of Teflon and weird film on the roof of my mouth.